Friday, January 9, 2009

Email of the week: Drama

Dear WifeMomBlogger,
I'm a fairly new to the military, my husband and I have been married just over a year. We were stationed at Camp Pendleton for 8 months and recently moved to Cherry Point. The problem I seem to have encountered here is GOSSIP! This is something I did not have to deal with at Camp Pendleton. I've talked to a few of my friends back in CA and they said they had the same problem when they were stationed out here. Two questions. First, WHY? I mean we're all adults, why do people find a need to gossip and create drama? And second, how do I deal with it? Especially since I'm having problems with my neighbors, I mean it's not like I can completely avoid them.
Thanks for your help,
XXX

Yeah, unfortunatly we all experience this. The military is soooo much like high school. I mean there's A LOT of 18/19 year old wives running around base that literally JUST graduated... So I don't know if it's that it what. Hell, i've got so many theories on this subject... I wish I could give you some kinda definitive answer as to why the girls act like that... But I can't. I think it's one of many things... Mainly bordom. I've noticed the drama is WAY worse on small bases! So from what I gather... Since there's nothing better to do... Some girls just find it a good idea to just stur up drama. Sad I know. A lot of it also has to do with maturity. You need to realize that the average Marine wife is YOUNG... Only 20 years old! I mean that's a baby to me! HaHa. So like I said before, there's just so many 18/19 year olds running around that JUST graduated... So they're still in that whole "high school mode" still... But I know it can't be JUST that cuz you'll see 30 year old wives running around doing the same... But whatever. There's really no excuse. You were right, we're all adults. But unfortunately some of us just don't like like it.

Anywayz, your 2nd question, how to deal with it. Avoid it at all costs. Yeah that may cost you some friends. But guess what, so will participating in the drama/gossip. PLUS, something I've always said "Those who gossip with you will gossip about you"... So really, do you wanna hang out with the woman who are sitting there talking crap on others? Especially knowing the minute you walk away they're talking about you? And I understand base housing is SMALL, and you are bound to see these "gossip girls" around, but look, you can be friendly and smile and say high... But honestly if it was me, I would keep it to that... Stop sharing personal info with them that could fuel their gossip fire... Stop talking negatively about others... Refuse to participate in their wife bashing. So my advice to you, it to just rise above.