Monday, February 23, 2009

Public Breastfeeding

So I'm watching the news and this article got brought up. North Carolina mom, breastfeeding her 1 year old in the middle of a Denny's restaurant. Not covered up or anything, just out there for all to see. The female manager walked up and asked the mom to "cover up", never told her that she needed to stop, but merely informed her that costumers had complained and they had a "discretion policy" in place and would need to cover up.

Denny's "discretion policy" is as follows:
“We at Denny’s work very hard to insure all guests have a pleasant dining experience. Breastfeeding is absolutely allowed in our restaurants; we do request that it be done with respect and discretion, as we are a family restaurant. We defer to our managers to carry out the company’s position.”
I'm sorry but I'm very, very, very PRO-breastfeeding... But in your booth, in a restaurant with no cover? Seriously, it's called consideration. I've been there, and I would have loved to just ignore everyone else around me and just pulled up my shirt to feel my baby while still finishing my meal... But like Denny's said, it's a family restaurant. And yeah, I know breast feeding's natural, and like the mom said to the reporter "it's not like I was dancing on the table" but still. Some 10 year old boy isn't going to see it that way.

And I really don't want or need to get any angry emails from any of the 30 moms who showed up for the Denny's protest... I mean feel free to attacks Denny's policy, but there's no need to personally attack and belittle me for not liking seeing strangers nursing uncovered in public. Like I said before, I'm incredibly pro-breastfeeding. Exclusively nursed my daughter for her 1st year, head the "Breastfeeding Support Group" on our last duty station HUGE breastfeeding advocate... And I mean I've defiantly breastfed in my fair share of weird places... The beach, The backseat of my car, Restrooms, A moving San Francisco trolley car, Atlanta Airport, Cleveland Airport, Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, LAX, San Diego International, in the middle of Yosemite National Park, airplanes... I could go on and on... But one place I've NEVER nursed was a restaurant... Now I've gone into the restroom of restaurants before... And drug chairs in there is they didn't have a couch... But I just didn't find it appropriate to nurse just feet away from total strangers eating... ESPECIALLY un-shielded.

No comments:

Post a Comment