Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sookie Love.

So the latest installment in the Sookie Stackhouse series was released this morning, "Dead in the Family" is the tenth book from Charlaine Harris about the Louisiana barmaid and her vampire filled life. For those who don't know, this is the series that HBO's TrueBlood is loosley based on. Well, I bought it around 10am and managed to finish it by 10pm. Is this the best book in the series? Not by far. In fact, it may be my least favorite book to date, but that being said, I still enjoyed the story.

I love Sookie. I love the world Harris has created and shared with us. I love the complex characters who are so multidimensional and flawed and interesting. So, even when a book seems to fall short or not strike a major note with me, I still enjoy the time I get to spend in Sookie's world.

This isn't a stand alone story. You have to start with the first book and read them all. Too many plot lines, too many characters, too many big story arc developments happen along the way to not begin and the beginning.

I will reread "Dead in the Family," maybe before the weekend is out. I tend to zip through these books so quickly that I often don't read slowly enough to enjoy every scene. I may have more comments after a second read.

No comments:

Post a Comment