Thursday, September 11, 2008

First day of ballet!

So I have to start off by saying that I was awake till 3am this morning... Not cuz I was doin anything else, but just because I couldn't stop thinking about today. I was seriously so gitty I felt like I was 6 again and it was like the night before we went to Disneyland or sumthin. I honestly never thought I'd be this excited for Makayla to start ballet. Before she was born I sat there and had planned on gettin her in little league and Pop-Warner Football and all these sports. I was TOTALLY against anything like cheerleading and ballet and girly stuff cuz I was never into that kinda stuff. But oh man, this morning, getting her ready for class, I was just such a proud mom! Makayla was just so beyond cute in her little pink leotard, skirt, tights, and pink ballet slippers, I could hardly contain myself!

The first 30 minutes is ballet, and the last 15 minutes is tap dancing. Each class is color coordinated. The younger classes (Tiny Tots, 2-3, and 3-4) is all pink. The older kids wear Lavender outfits and then the competition teams wear burgundy. In addition to the dress code, they're also strict about the girls having their hair up in a bun. Unfortunately Makayla's hair is too short to pull back into a single bun, (and I didn't want to use hairspray - she's too young for that), So I tried pulling it up in two pigtail buns, but still couldn't get it all up.

I'm preferential of course, but I thought Makayla was the cutest girl there and I had a smile on my face the entire time watching her.One thing that's not ideal: there's only a small window high up to watch the girls, so you have to stand the entire time in a narrow hallway, crowded by other parents, to watch them. And the window is covered with some film, which makes taking photographs nearly impossible. (I think it's there so the dancers aren't distracted.) But that doesn't really matter I suppose cuz I was approached by the director after the class and informed I am not allowed to take photos, even of my own child because all the material in her class is copywrited and if I wish to have a photo of my child, I will need to wait till picture day in like 2 or 3 months.

Anywayz, other then that, today was great. Makayla had so much fun. I was shocked to see that Makayla wasn't that far behind the other kids... Especially seeing how Makayla was placed in the 3-4 year class. There's 5 kids in her class... Makayla's the youngest BY FAR... Makayla doesn't even turn 2-1/2 for another 2 months... And the next youngest kid in the class turns 3 next month... So they're all OVER 7 months older then her... The other 3 kids in the class are 3-1/2... But Makayla's just as tall as the rest of them... If not an inch or so taller. The only barrier there, is the language one. Makayla still babbles a lot and the words she does say it's near to impossible to understand unless you really really listin... Which the instructor clearly doesn't have time to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment