Sunday, July 19, 2009

10 Ways to Annoy A Military Wife

So, I bought this magnet through the Cafe Press website quite some time ago:

1. As soon as you find out her husband is deployed, take it upon yourself to tell her exactly how you feel about the war and how WE shouldn't be over there.

2. Follow that up by asking how she feels about the (former) President. (I bought this a year or so ago).

3. Look surprised and say, "I don't know how you do it, I could never LET my husband do that."

4. If she's pregnant, be sure and ask if the military is going to send her husband home for the birth.

5. Tell her she should really consider getting additional life insurance since her husband has a good chance of getting killed.

6. Remind her how lucky she is that her husband gets all that extra tax free money when he's deployed.

7. Try to relate to her by saying you know just how she feels because your husband was out of town on business for a week last month.

8. Ask her how she can be so faithful for 15 whole months and if she worries about her husband cheating on her.

9. Inquire on whether or not her husband has killed anyone.

10. Be sure to ask her when her husband comes home if he's done with the military or if he has to go back.

I got asked #10 a lot when DH was deployed, as well as #3, #4, #6, #1, and #2. Yup - I pretty much got all these statements/questions when he was deployed.

Isn't it amazing that non-military people have NO clue as to what we go through or that they can be so uncaring of what we are feeling. I know we briefly talked about this on last night's AWTR show - but I do think that being a military spouse is vastly different than being the spouse of a cop or firefighter. While their jobs aren't the safest ones in the country - they aren't being deployed (unless they're also in the military) to fight an "unkown" enemy. That's just how I think of it.