For some reason I've never tried to make preserves. Actually I had never had any preserves up till last year when I had a neighbor bring over some peach preserves she had made and I was hooked!!! Unfortunately I didn't have her recipe... I think hers may have been so good in part because of the peaches... But this recipe none the less is VERY easy and quite yummy... Enjoy!
- 4 c. sliced peaches
- 2 c. sugar
To peel the peaches, cut an "X" into the bottom half of each peach and drop into a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds. Transfer the peaches to a bowl of ice water to cool. Remove the skin; pit them, and cut in quarters.
- In a large saucepan, combine the peaches with the sugar.
- Let the mixture stand for 1 hour to bring out the juices.
- Simmer the mixture for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring, over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Using a spoon, skim off any foam from the preserves, if necessary.
- Remove from heat; let stand for 1 hour.
- Ladle the preserves into jars, filling to within 1/4" of the rims.