Ok first I have to say that I am absolutely addicted to flan... Like regular Mexican carmel flan... But that's only because I had never had any other kind of flan... Well that was until today. OH MY GOSH, this is seriously amazing... Like serious coconuty-almondy-flany goodness...
* ½ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
* 1½ cups skim milk
* 3 large eggs
* 3 egg yolks
* ⅓ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
* ½ teaspoon almond extract
* ¾ cup flaked coconut
* ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine ½ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend and water in a small heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture is golden in color (about 4 minutes). Immediately pour mixture evenly into a 9-inch cake pan. Mixture will harden and may crack slightly as it cools.
3. Combine coconut milk and skim milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
4. Beat eggs and yolks at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add ⅓ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, beating until blended. Gradually add hot milks, beating until blended. Add almond extract and coconut; beat at low speed until blended. Pour mixture over caramelized SPLENDA® Sugar Blend. Place cake pan in a roasting pan. Add hot water to a depth of 1-inch in the roasting pan.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake pan from water and cool on a wire rack at least 30 minutes; cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Loosen edges with a thin knife. Invert flan onto serving plate; sprinkle with toasted almonds.