Monday, April 28, 2008
- 3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup oil or melted margarine
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional—see other options listed below)
• Mash bananas (overripe ones make the best bread). Add oil/margarine and sugar. Mix well.
• Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda together and add to the banana mixture. Mix until the flour is blended (do not beat).
Pour into muffin pans or a bread pan and bake at 360°F until a toothpick comes out clean.
Optional: Add a handful of walnuts, oatmeal, raisins, chocolate chips, currants, coconut, or all of the above!
Makes 1 Dozen Muffins
Sunday, April 27, 2008
If you're wary of replacing the dairy in your recipes, never fear—blended tofu makes a great substitute for soft cheese.
- 1/2 lb. lasagna noodles
2 10-oz. packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 package ground Boca
1 lb. firm tofu
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 tsp. minced fresh basil
2 tsp. salt
4 cups tomato sauce
• Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
• Squeeze the spinach as dry as possible and set aside.
• Place the tofu, sugar, soy milk, garlic powder, lemon juice, basil, and salt in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Stir in the spinach.
• Cover the bottom of a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish with a thin layer of tomato sauce, then a layer of noodles (use about one-third of the noodles). Follow with half of the tofu filling. Continue in the same order, using half of the remaining tomato sauce and noodles and all of the remaining tofu filling. End with the remaining noodles, covered by the remaining tomato sauce. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Saturday, April 26, 2008
* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
* 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped
* 8 ounces penne pasta
* 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes and beans in a large non-stick skillet. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add spinach to the sauce; cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly.
4. Serve sauce over pasta, and sprinkle with feta.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 50 min
Makes: 6 servings
3 frozen BOCA Meatless Original Chik'n Patties, coarsely chopped
3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of celery soup
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 pkg. (15 oz.) ready-to-use refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Mix all ingredients except pie crusts until well blended; set aside.
PLACE 1 of the pie crusts in 9-inch pie plate sprayed with cooking spray. Fill with vegetable mixture. Cover with remaining crust; seal and flute edge. Cut several slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
BAKE 35 to 40 min. or until golden brown. Let stand 10 min. before serving.
Serve this family-favorite with a crisp mixed green salad or fresh fruit.
Jazz It Up
For a browner and crispier crust, brush top crust with 1 Tbsp. cholesterol-free egg product before baking.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
12 oz. vegetarian burger crumbles (Morningstar/Boca)
1 packet taco seasoning
2 15.5-oz. cans enchilada sauce
18 corn tortillas
2 15.5-oz. cans pinto beans, drained
2 green onions, chopped
2 cups vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
1 4.5-oz. can diced green chilies
2 cups Fritos corn chips, finely crushed
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• In a small bowl, combine the burger crumbles and taco seasoning and set aside.
• Spray a 9-inch by 13-inch pan with oil.
• In layers, spread a generous amount of enchilada sauce, 6 corn tortillas, 2 cans of pinto beans, a handful of green onion, a third of the shredded “cheese,” half the can of green chilies, lots more enchilada sauce, 6 more tortillas, all the seasoned burger crumbles, another third of the “cheese,” the remaining green chilies, more enchilada sauce, then the final 6 tortillas, more enchilada sauce, and the rest of the “cheese.” Cover in foil and bake for 30 minutes.
• Remove the foil, top the entire casserole with the Fritos, and bake for another 15 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
Makes 6 servings