One of the things I love most about this time of year, well besides Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte's is Pumpkin Cream Cheese Rolls. My grandmother used to slave over the kitchen for an entire day, producing a single, coveted Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll from her 14 hours of labor. The task was lengthy, full of finicky instructions, and required strict obedience to a slew of carefully timed steps.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
5 Tbsp. butter
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon
8 oz. cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, beat together the pumpkin, brown sugar, sugar, 3 eggs, milk, butter, flour, baking powder and cinnamon until well-mixed.
- In a second bowl, beat together cream chese, egg, and sugar.
- Generously grease and flour a large bread pan.
- Spoon a thin layer of the pumpkin batter into the bottom of the bread pan.
- Make a well in the center of the bread and spoon half the cream cheese filling inside.
- Cover with another pumpkin batter, then swirl the rest of the cream cheese into that layer before covering all signs of cream cheese with one last layer of pumpkin batter.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until a toothpick poked into the center of bread comes out clean.