Friday, October 15, 2010

Yellow Ribbon Program for GI Bill

Who Benefits from the Yellow Ribbon Program?

If you have served at least 36 months of active duty after September 10, 2001, you are probably eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program. You may also be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a disability caused during service, provided you served at least 30 continuous days of service after September 10, 2001. Eligibility can also be extended to dependents eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post 9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service.

You must be also be eligible for maximum benefits under the Post 9/11 GI bill in order to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

What Do Eligible Recipients of The Yellow Ribbon Program Receive?

If you are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you’ll receive funding to cover the amount of tuition and fees that exceed the highest public state undergraduate tuition and fees. This allows you to attend a private institution, graduate school, or attend a state school where you are not a resident.

Schools which participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program voluntarily will choose the amount of money to be contributed per eligible recipient; and the VA will match the amount and make their payment directly to the institution on behalf of each recipient.

Participating Colleges and Universities Requirements

Participating colleges and universities of the Yellow Ribbon Program must agree to provide funds to qualified Yellow Ribbon applicants on a first-come, first-served basis; within the current academic year and in all subsequent academic years while the student maintains attendance requirements and satisfactory academic performance. The school must also state the maximum number of people per academic year may receive the contributions, and state the dollar amount that is contributed on behalf of each participant of the program during the academic year. The funds must be made toward the program, on behalf of the recipient in the form of a scholarship or grant.

How Do I Apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Each participating educational institution can establish their own application procedures for students. They also determine how many students per year may receive funds under the Yellow Ribbon Program.

You must also apply for an educational institution that offers the Yellow Ribbon Program – a list of 2010 – 2011 schools sorted by state is available here:

No comments:

Post a Comment