Monday, November 17, 2008

A German Christmas

Oh man, I love these things! If you have no idea what this is, I'm not surprised... Not many people do. It's called a "Christmas A Pyramid" or a "German Christmas Carousel". It's really nothing more then a Christmas decoration that originated in the Ore Mountains of Germany but has become popular throughout the world. Usually the Carousels depict some kind of Christian motifs, such as angels or manger scenes, and others with more secular motifs such as mountain-folk or towns-folk. The spinning motion of the pyramids is traditionally achieved with the help of candles whose rising heat spins a propeller above. I'm not exactly sure why I'm so obsessed with them. Unfortunately for me they are waaaaay expensive! You can find some newer one teared candle less ones as cheap as $75..But the 2 and 3 teared ones usually go anywhere from $250-$500... But I've found some extremely elaborate painted 5 teared pyramids for up to $3,000! This one on the left for example but more elaborate painted ones like this go for $330. Too bad that I can't bring myself to fork out that much cash for one.

Well let e tell you, I was in for a beyond pleasant shock when I stumbled across one on the Lillian Vernon website. Now mind you it probably wasn't made in Germany... But for $30 do I really care? Seriously $330 vs $30! Come on now. Ya can't pass that up! BUT because I'm apparently not the only one who loves these, it's on back order... BUT it should be shipped out December 1st, so I'll live.